Share, , Google Plus, Pinterest,


Posted in:

Moving House: Who Do You Need To Inform?

Copyright (c) 2012 Robert GrayMoving house can be one of the busiest and time consuming times of our lives. As well as dealing with the practicalities of packing up an entire household of belongings and moving them into your new property you need to remember to inform everybody that needs to know that you have a new address and are no longer residing at your old property. This article looks at the main groups of people that need to be informed when you move house. * Passport and driving licence : You will need to inform the passport office and the DVLA of your new address so that their records can be updated and new documents can be administered if necessary. * Utilities : You will need to inform your water board, the electricity and gas companies, the telephone company and your internet provider of your new address. If you fail to do this then you may find yourself without certain appliances/amenities when you move into your new home. It is also important to inform the utility companies of the last day which you will be residing at your current property so that you are not liable for any bills that are incurred after you have vacated the property. * Health services : you must inform your GP of your new address so that the details they hold on record for you and your family can be updated. Depending on how far you are moving you may be required to register with a completely new GP. If you attend any regular hospital or consultant appointments you should also make sure that they are aware that you have a new address. * Work and school : You should inform your employer that you have changed address so that your payslips and any other documents regarding your employment, if sent out by post, are correctly redirected. You should also ensure that the next of kin details that your employer has on file for you remain updated and correct. If you have children of school age you should also inform the school office of your change of address and the date from which it starts. * Council : You should inform your local council of your new address and ensure that your entry on the electoral register is correct. * DWP : If you are in receipt of any benefits you should inform the DWP of your new address as soon as possible to reduce the risk of any confidential, sensitive documentation being sent to your old address ad being opened by the new owners. * Post redirection : The Royal Mail offer a chargeable service whereby you can arrange for any post addressed to your previous residence to be automatically redirected to your new address. As it can often take a while for some databases to be updated and can often take more than one phone call or email to certain establishments to get your details changed, mail redirection is a very useful way of ensuring that your post reaches you and does not fall into the wrong hands. It is advisable to allocate a specific morning or afternoon to sit down and make a list of all of the people that need to be informed of your change of address and work your way through the list in one go. You can then tick the list as you go to ensure that you do not forget to inform any significant authorities or organisations : it may help to have your monthly bills in front of you as you do this to ensure that your task is carried out comprehensively.

Need specialist Moving Home Solicitors?

Gray Hooper Holt are Redhill and Reigate Solicitors?hostgator discount