Directory Submissions are one of the easiest methods of getting links. It is a practice that dates back to a time before even the search engines existed.
From SEO pros with years of experience to new-to-SEO website owners, a a large number of people with varying levels of expertise turn to Directory Submission everyday, because it’s apparent that it is one of the first few steps needed for a website to get indexed by the search engines.
The basics of submitting to directories are often forgotten and how it can best aid our SEO efforts – submitting to a list of directories just like that will hardly prove to be effective or helpful. There are a number of of factors to consider before you submit to a directory. Smarter search engines, tougher-than-ever competition and ever-changing SEO trends have made it very important that directory submissions are done with utmost care and any possible help from experts.
Listed below are the basic do’s to consider when submitting to a web directory, follow the pointers below to make your directory submissions more effective.
Directory Submission Tactics
1. Submit only to directories that are recognized by the search engines. The directory should not use the ‘rel=no follow’ attribute for a link, this will prevent the search engines from finding your site in the directory.
2. Submit to the most relevant category. Sites submitted to inappropriate or unrelated categories may be rejected or removed.
3. Read and follow the guidelines before you begin the submission process.
4. Include your target keywords in your anchor text, but don’t resort to ‘keyword stuffing’.
5. Keep track of your submissions. You want to avoid submitting to the same directories again.
6. Use relevant targeted keywords instead of popular broad-based keywords as your title. E.g. “Duplex Houses for Sale in Florida” instead of “Real Estate – Florida”.
7. Rotate and use as many different titles and descriptions as possible.
8. Keep submitting to directories from time to time – do not stop.
Sameer S Panjwani is the CEO and Founder of Directory Maximizer, a directory submission service, that offers the services of professionally submitting websites to quality seo-friendly directories online. Directory Maximizer also offers an exciting affiliate program for webmaster related sites.